CE Requirements for RNs:
RNs are required to complete 20 contact hours every two years in their area of practice. CE content areas specified in the Texas nurse practice act include:
- Two contact hours related to forensic evidence collection for any RN practicing in an emergency room setting (one-time requirement)
- Two contact hours related to older adults and geriatric populations for RNs working with this population
- Content related to tick-borne diseases for RNs working with this population
- Two contact hours of continuing education relating to nursing jurisprudence and nursing ethics before the
end of every third two-year licensing period
Advanced Practice Nurses
In addition to the 20 contact hours of continuing education in the advanced practice role and population focus area or renewal of the certification as specified, an APRN who has Prescriptive Authority must also complete at least five additional contact hours in pharmacotherapeutics within the preceding two years.
CE Requirements for LPNs:
LPNs are required to complete 20 contact hours every two years in their area of practice. There is also a targeted 1-time, 2-contact hour CE requirement for any LPN practicing in an emergency room setting for Forensic Evidence Collection
Continuing Education courses listed in this Texas Board of Nursing Requirements category will help you to meet the requirements for RN relicensure in Texas.
There are some pretty big advantages in choosing nurse.com for your continuing education:
- Our system allows for you to keep track of all your transcripts in one place
- All courses are tracked digitally and can be accessed at anytime
- Every course is developed by nurses for nurses and goes through a rigorous review process
- You can access more than 600 independent self-study continuing nursing education courses
- We are the recipient of the 2007-09, 2009-11, 2012-15 ANCC Accreditation Premier Program Award for innovation and excellence in the provision of continuing nursing education.