Upon successful completion of the course, the student will be able to:
- Know the importance of careful evaluation of products.
- Understand how to place orders for the foods needed to prepare menu items.
- Identify the terminology that is used by those grading meat products.
- Understand how to order meat items using IMPS numbers.
- Recognize the quality standards of dairy products.
- Understand the kinds, classes, grades, styles and types of poultry products.
- Describe new items that can be used on upcoming menus.
- Understand the product characteristics of beverages.
- Identify specifications that are appropriate.
- Apply the information learned to the buying of menu items.
- Relate knowledge of products to specifications of food items.
- Apply the storage requirements to the handling of fresh produce.
- Use information to decrease cost and increase quality of a product.
- Examine purchase orders to be certain that they are correct in every detail.
- Compare two value-added items to identify the one that is more economical.
- Develop a new innovative system to decrease food costs.
- Evaluate the alternatives of proposed systems of purchasing.
Course content may take a few minutes to display fully.
The course is intended for nutrition professionals
OnCourse Learning is a Continuing Professional Education (CPE) Accredited Provider (#GD001) with the Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR). This course is a level 2 course with suggested CDR learning codes of 7080, 7180, 8070, 8090 and performance indicators of 13.2.3, 13.2.5, 13.2.6, 13.3.3.
OnCourse Learning is also accredited by the Florida Council of Dietetics and Nutrition (provider # FBN 50-1489).
This program has been approved for fulfilling the continuing education requirements of the Certifying Board for Dietary Managers (CBDM). Granting prior approval does not constitute endorsement of the program content or its program sponsor.