The goal of this course is to provide the “rules and tools” for food safety to equip food handlers to safeguard the quality and safety of the food they serve. After studying the information presented here, you will be able to:
- Name the three most common causes of foodborne illness
- List the temperatures necessary to promote food safety
- Name the four acceptable ways to thaw food
- Outline the necessary steps for handling leftovers
- Describe HACCP and its application to food safety systems
- Identify critical control points in recipe production
- Explain the basic processes of bacterial growth and its control
- Describe the most effective way of preventing the spread of hepatitis
- Identify examples of cross contamination in a food service system and outline methods of prevention
- Demonstrate effective methods of hand washing
- Discuss the pros and cons of the use of gloves in food safety
- Identify the major regulatory agencies in the United States responsible for food safety
- Develop basic lesson plans for sharing information on food safety topics
- Outline the basic criteria needed for sanitizing food contact surfaces
- Identify biological, chemical and physical dangers in a food system
- Identify acceptable standards when receiving food
- Maintain safe food handling standards throughout the flow of food
- Define a cross connection and outline its prevention
- Properly test the strength of a sanitizing solution
Course content may take a take a few minutes to display fully.
This course is intended for an interprofessional audience, including dietitians and health educators.
Dietitians: Take this version of the course to ensure you receive appropriate credit.
For the version accredited or approved for another profession, go to your specific profession at www.continuingeducation.com
. If you have a CE Direct login ID and password (generally provided by your employer), please log in as you normally would at lms.nurse.com
and search for this topic title.
OnCourse Learning is a Continuing Professional Education (CPE) Accredited Provider (#GD001) with the Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR). This course is a Level 2 course. Suggested CDR Learning Codes: 7100, 8040
OnCourse Learning is also accredited by the Florida Council of Dietetics and Nutrition (provider # FBN 50-1489).
This program has been approved for fulfilling the continuing education requirements of the Certifying Board for Dietary Managers (CBDM). Granting prior approval does not constitute endorsement of the program content or its program sponsor.