The goal of this cancer prevention and nutrition continuing education course is to explore current dietary recommendations related to cancer prevention and examine the scientific evidence that provides the underlying rationale for those guidelines. Upon successful completion of this course, the participant will be able to:
- Define cancer, carcinogenesis
- Describe the multistep process of carcinogenesis
- State the importance of understanding epidemiology for interpreting the relationships of diet and cancer studies, and differentiate between a case-control and a cohort study
- Explain the nature of the controversy regarding dietary fat and the risk of cancer
- Identify the percent of cancer-related mortality attributed to overweight and obesity and discuss the proposed mechanism of the effect of excess weight on carcinogenesis
- Identify the mechanisms by which red meat might promote cancer
- Analyze why there is controversy about the association between dietary fiber and cancer
- Discuss the role of antioxidant vitamins and minerals and phytochemicals in cancer prevention
- Identify the proposed mechanism by which the minerals calcium and vitamin D may function to reduce cancer risk
- Discuss current dietary guidelines and rationale related to the cancer risk of naturally occurring carcinogens, food additives and contaminants
- Differentiate between blocking agents and suppressing agents
- Design a diet that meets the guidelines established by major cancer organizations
- Identify the types of quackery associated with cancer prevention and explain strategies to combat quackery
- State the four steps of the health communication process
- Discuss some realistic expectations in planning dietary strategies for cancer risk reduction
Course content may take a few minutes to display fully.
This course is intended for an interprofessional audience, including dietitians and health educators.
Dietitians: Take this version of the course to ensure you receive appropriate credit.
For the version accredited or approved for another profession, go to your specific profession at www.continuingeducation.com
. If you have a CE Direct login ID and password (generally provided by your employer), please log in as you normally would at lms.nurse.com
and search for this topic title.
OnCourse Learning is a Continuing Professional Education (CPE) Accredited Provider (#GD001) with the Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR). This course is a Level 2 course. Suggested CDR Learning Codes: 2010, 2030, 2060, 2070, 2090, 4000, 4040, 4050, 5150.
OnCourse Learning is also accredited by the Florida Council of Dietetics and Nutrition (provider # FBN 50-1489).
This program has been approved for fulfilling the continuing education requirements of the Certifying Board for Dietary Managers (CBDM). Granting prior approval does not constitute endorsement of the program content or its program sponsor.