After completing this course, the student will be able to:
- Describe the structure and function of the kidney, and explain the progression of renal disease
- List and define the kinds of congenital and pediatric renal disease, and discuss the diagnosis and treatment of each
- Explain the process of hemodialysis, and discuss possible complications and nutritional implications in detail
- List the types of peritoneal dialysis, and discuss the criteria, contraindications and nutritional implications of each
- Explain how transplants work, including discussing donor screening, rejection and diet therapy
- Explain and compare the various assessment techniques for the adult ESRD patient
- Show how to calculate protein catabolic rate and explain its importance
- Explain the Kt/V index, and its use and significance
- Discuss at length the nutritional needs of various renal patients, including those on dialysis
- Discuss vitamin and mineral nutriture for the individual with renal disease
- Explain oxalosis, its causes and effects
- Discuss nutrition therapy during various stages of renal disease
- Explain the special needs of pregnant women with renal disease and discuss how to assess, treat and monitor them
- Explain some of the criteria for nutrition support, both enteral and parenteral, and explain its use in various types of renal disease
- Discuss techniques for motivating renal patients to follow dietary guidelines, and explain how compliance may be fostered and monitored
Course content may take a few minutes to display fully.
The course is intended for nutrition professionals
OnCourse Learning is a Continuing Professional Education (CPE) Accredited Provider (#GD001) with the Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR). This course is a Level 3 course. Suggested CDR Learning Codes: 3020, 3030, 3060, 3070, 3090, 5010, 5020, 5030, 5170, 5340, 5360, 5390, 5400, 5410, 5440 and performance indicators: 10.1.2, 10.2.4, 10.2.5, 10.2.7, 10.2.8, 10.2.9
OnCourse Learning is also accredited by the Florida Council of Dietetics and Nutrition (provider # FBN 50-1489).
This program has been approved for fulfilling the continuing education requirements of the Certifying Board for Dietary Managers (CBDM). Granting prior approval does not constitute endorsement of the program content or its program sponsor.