Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Explain why it is important for preschool children to start learning healthy lifestyle habits
- Identify components of an effective preschool fitness program
- Understand the medical, social and physical benefits of an appropriate fitness program for children
- Apply concepts of child psychology to manage children's behavior in an active setting
- Describe why pediatric obesity has become a worldwide health pandemic
- List five medical consequences of overeating and inactivity for small children
- Demonstrate examples of appropriate exercises for preschool children in regards to strength training, aerobic exercise, stretching and sports skill development
- Explain the role of the adult psyche in the continued growth of pediatric obesity
- Identify nutritional deficiencies common in preschool children
- List exercises that are contraindicated for preschool children
- Understand the difference between adults and children in terms of physiology
- Know the difference in emotional and physical abilities of 2 to 3-year-olds and 4 to 5-year-olds
- Detail what children can realistically learn about the food pyramid and healthy eating
Course content may take a take a few minutes to display fully.
This course is intended for an interprofessional audience, including dietitians, health educators, athletic trainers, and fitness professionals.
Dietitians: Take this version of the course to ensure you receive appropriate credit.
For the version accredited or approved for another profession, go to your specific profession at www.continuingeducation.com
. If you have a CE Direct login ID and password (generally provided by your employer), please log in as you normally would at cedirect.continuingeducation.com
and search for this topic title.
OnCourse Learning is a Continuing Professional Education (CPE) Accredited Provider (#GD001) with the Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR). This course is a Level 2 course. Suggested CDR Learning Codes: 3020, 4000, 4010, 4020, 4030, 4040, 4060, 4150, 5070, 6000, 6040
OnCourse Learning is also accredited by the Florida Council of Dietetics and Nutrition (provider # FBN 50-1489).
This program has been approved for fulfilling the continuing education requirements of the Certifying Board for Dietary Managers (CBDM). Granting prior approval does not constitute endorsement of the program content or its program sponsor.