Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Explain why it is important for preschool children to start learning healthy lifestyle habits
- Identify components of an effective preschool fitness program
- Understand the medical, social and physical benefits of an appropriate fitness program for children
- Apply concepts of child psychology to manage children's behavior in an active setting
- Describe why pediatric obesity has become a worldwide health pandemic
- List five medical consequences of overeating and inactivity for small children
- Demonstrate examples of appropriate exercises for preschool children in regards to strength training, aerobic exercise, stretching and sports skill development
- Explain the role of the adult psyche in the continued growth of pediatric obesity
- Identify nutritional deficiencies common in preschool children
- List exercises that are contraindicated for preschool children
- Understand the difference between adults and children in terms of physiology
- Know the difference in emotional and physical abilities of 2 to 3-year-olds and 4 to 5-year-olds
- Detail what children can realistically learn about the food pyramid and healthy eating
Course content may take a take a few minutes to display fully.
This course is intended for an interprofessional audience, including dietitians, health educators, athletic trainers, and fitness professionals.
Dietitians: Take this version of the course to ensure you receive appropriate credit.
For the version accredited or approved for another profession, go to your specific profession at www.continuingeducation.com
. If you have a CE Direct login ID and password (generally provided by your employer), please log in as you normally would at cedirect.continuingeducation.com
and search for this topic title.
Gannett Education is a Continuing Professional Education (CPE) Accredited Provider (#GD001) with the Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR). This course is a Level 2 course. Suggested CDR Learning Codes: 3020, 4000, 4010, 4020, 4030, 4040, 4060, 4150, 5070, 6000, 6040
Gannett Education is also accredited by the Florida Council of Dietetics and Nutrition (provider # FBN 50-1489).
This course is approved for continuing education clock hours by the Certifying Board for Dietary Managers (CBDM).