This course will be discontinued on August 31, 2015, because a new version of it (60216 Osteoporosis: A Preventable Epidemic) is now available.
This course has been approved for 6 hours by the Commission on Case Manager Certification for 2008, 2/12/09 through 12/31/09, 1/15/10 through 12/31/10, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015.
The purpose of this program is to inform nurses about how to treat and prevent osteoporosis. After studying the information presented here, you will be able to:
- Explain the economic impact and personal consequences of osteoporosis
- Describe the pathogenesis of bone loss and identify methods to diagnose osteoporosis
- Compare and contrast unchangeable and modifiable risk factors for osteoporosis
- Describe universal recommendations for osteoporosis prevention and management
- Describe the role of pharmacologic agents in osteoporosis therapy
- Identify people at highest risk for falls and describe fall prevention strategies that nurses can teach
- Explain principles of rehabilitation to reduce disability for people with osteoporosis
- Describe significant nursing roles in osteoporosis prevention and management
Effective 8/1/2014, the Florida Board of Nursing will not accept contact hours offered in tenth hour increments (example: 1.6 contact hours). Course contact hours will be rounded down to the nearest half hour (example: 1.6 contact hours becomes 1.5 contact hours, 1.4 contact hours becomes 1.0 contact hours). This course will be reported to CE Broker for FL RNs, LPNs, ARNPs, and CNSs as 8 hours.