When you complete this course, you will be able to:
- Outline the latest transmission-based precautions.
- Discuss the etiology, symptoms, treatment, and prevention methods for tuberculosis.
- Discuss how "superbugs" affect the treatment of specific diseases.
- Identify the causes and prevention guidelines of foodborne illnesses.
- Describe the signs and symptoms and treatment for lice, scabies, and Lyme disease.
- Discuss the etiology, symptoms, treatment and prevention methods for meningitis.
- Explain two important STD prevention methods.
- Explain the similarities of each type of viral hepatitis and their differences.
- Name two preventive measures for hepatitis C for health care professionals.
- Discuss the issues to consider to ensure safe and health travel abroad.
Educational Gap: Health professionals are not able to identify and treat communicable diseases.
This course was reviewed and approved by Scott H. Plantz, MD, FAAEM, representing the University of Louisville School of Medicine Continuing Health Sciences Education.