The goal of this program is to update Kentucky healthcare professionals' knowledge of the care of patients with, and issues surrounding, HIV/AIDS and to meet the Kentucky state requirement for continuing education in this area for licensure. After you study this information, you will be able to —
- Describe basic medical and epidemiological information about HIV and relate the diseases and conditions it can cause.
- Explain methods of transmission and prevention of HIV and current recognized methods of medical treatment.
- Summarize the management of HIV in the healthcare workplace and other working environments consistent with OSHA Bloodborne Pathogens Standards.
- Briefly describe the professional, ethical, and legal standards applicable to a caregiver of a person with HIV.
- Appraise the appropriate attitudes and behaviors of caregivers toward persons infected with HIV.
- Relate the comprehensive human services available to assist those living with HIV infection in Kentucky.
Educational Gap: Health professionals are not able to identify and treat HIV/AIDS.
This course was reviewed and approved by Scott H. Plantz, MD, FAAEM, representing the University of Louisville School of Medicine Continuing Health Sciences Education.
This course is intended for an interprofessional audience, including nurses, EMTs/paramedics, pharmacists, physical therapists, physicians, and social workers.
Physicians: Take this version of the course to ensure you receive appropriate credit.
For the version accredited or approved for another profession, go to your specific profession at www.continuingeducation.com
. If you have a CE Direct login ID and password (generally provided by your employer), please log in as you normally would at lms.nurse.com
and search for this topic title.
CME60019 "Kentucky HIV/AIDS Requirement for Healthcare Professionals" is approved by the Kentucky Cabinet for Health and Family Services to satisfy the requirement for professional licensure for any of the professional groups impacted by KRS 214.610/615 (CHFS approval # 0215-1511-M).