The purpose of this course is to help healthcare professionals to assume an active role in the team approach to pain management. When you complete this course, you will be able to —
- Understand the dimensions of suffering associated with under- and untreated pain and the other negative consequences of under- and untreated pain.
- Describe activities involved in implementing Joint Commission standards for pain management.
- Discuss the myths and misconceptions related to pain assessment and treatment.
- Describe pain assessment techniques, including pain assessment tools and the pain flow sheet.
- Explain the use of analgesics for pain management.
- Discuss the use of the equianalgesia chart for pain management.
- Describe four nondrug pain relief measures.
Educational Gap: Health professionals are not able to identify and treat pain syndromes.
This course was reviewed and approved by Stephen Wheeler, MD, representing the University of Louisville School of Medicine Continuing Health Sciences Education.