The purpose of this program is to inform nurses about a number of diseases and conditions frequently seen in geriatric patients. After studying the information presented here, you will be able to:
- Identify five nursing diagnoses and interventions relevant to the care of a person with a joint replacement.
- Describe issues associated with immobility in the geriatric population.
- Identify two chronic conditions found in the older adult and possible therapeutic interventions.
- Identify three conditions in elderly patients that you see in your setting and how the information in this course will affect your care for patients with those conditions.
- Describe two conditions that affect the vision of the elderly.
- Identify treatment options for three conditions.
- List prevention strategies for three conditions.
- Discuss three clinical topics that were new to you or that you had little knowledge of before reading this course.
- Identify two measures that prevent complications in the acute care setting.