If you are looking for the medical errors course that meets the FLORIDA requirement, please look under Florida Board of Nursing Requirements for "Preventing Medical Errors for Nurses: Florida Requirement."
This course has been approved for 2 hours by the Commission on Case Manager Certification for 2011, 2012, and 2013.
The goal of this preventing medication errors continuing education program is to discuss approaches to prevent medication errors that are both system-based and human performance-based, and The Joint Commission National Patient Safety Goals as they pertain to medication errors. After studying the information presented here, you will be able to —
- Explain the interdisciplinary nature of the medication error problem.
- Examine sources and types of medication errors.
- Relate theories and strategies to reduce the occurrence of medication errors.
- Define sentinel event, root cause analysis, failure mode, effects and criticality analysis.
- List the advantages of root cause analysis.
- Describe the impact of medication errors on healthcare providers.