The goal of this continuing education program is to update nurses’ knowledge of the identification, care and management of patients with perinatal infections. After you study the information presented here, you will be able to —
- Discuss changes in the prevalence of certain perinatal infections in relation to effective screening and vaccination programs.
- Differentiate between universal screening and high-risk prenatal screening protocols.
- Explain the modes of transmission of various pathogens from an infected mother to her fetus/newborn.
- Recognize maternal and fetal/newborn acute clinical manifestations and long-term sequelae that occur in association with perinatal infections.
- Describe the standards for diagnosis and management of selected perinatal infections recommended by national guidelines.
- Discuss the role of the nurse as a health educator in caring for the woman who presents with, or is at increased risk for developing, a perinatal infection.