The purpose of this program is to encourage nurses to consider an academic nursing career and to inform them about the consequences of the nursing faculty shortage in the United States. After studying the information presented here, you will be able to —
- Discuss reasons for nursing faculty shortages in the United States and their impact on nursing’s ability to fulfill its mission.
- Describe key components of a nursing faculty role.
- Identify academic requirements for nurse educator roles.
- Describe future changes in the role of professional nurses and how those changes will affect nursing education.
- Discuss characteristics of today’s nursing students and describe current teaching strategies.
- Discuss the rewards of an academic nursing career.
- Complete a self-assessment to help you evaluate your suitability for an academic career in nursing.
- Develop an action plan leading to an academic career, including identifying sources of financial aid for graduate study.
The planners and authors have declared no real or perceived conflicts of interest that relate to this educational activity. Gannett Education guarantees this educational activity is free from bias.