This course has been approved for 6 hours by the Commission on Case Manager Certification for 2007, 2008, 2009, 1/15/10 through 12/31/10, 2011, 2012, and 2013.
The purpose of this program is to describe the history of hospice care, the role and responsibilities of the nurse and the regulations that cover hospice. After studying the information presented here, you will be able to —
- Describe the development of hospice work.
- Explain the influence of case management on hospice practice.
- List five responsibilities of the hospice nurse case manager.
- State the relationship between Medicare eligibility and hospice services.
- List three principles of hospice pain management.
- Identify three symptoms that commonly require intervention during hospice care.
- Explain three ways in which the hospice nurse supports the patient and family as death approaches.