This course has been approved for 4 hours by the Commission on Case Manager Certification for 2009, 1/15/10 through 12/31/10, 2011, 2012, and 2013.
The purpose of this course is to provide nurses with a step-by-step approach to rhythm analysis and interpretation to enhance their ability to recognize and interpret cardiac arrhythmias. After studying the information presented here, you will be able to —
- Describe the components of the cardiac conduction system incorporating cardiac anatomy and physiology.
- Interpret and analyze ECG strips and determine rate, regularity and rhythm.
- Identify rhythms originating in the sinus node and atria, atrioventricular (AV) node, and ventricles and discuss their significance and treatment.
- Recognize Type I, II and III AV blocks and discuss their significance and treatment.
- Identify potentially life-threatening rhythms and discuss initial interventions/approach to treatment.