The purpose of this program is to inform nurses about the history, epidemiology, diagnoses, and treatment of the infectious agents most likely to be used in a bioterrorism attack. After studying the information presented here, you will be able to —
- Discuss biological weapon use in the United States.
- Identify potential bioterrorist agents and describe methods for dissemination.
- Describe how to recognize bioterrorism, the initial patient assessment, and the isolation precautions and decontamination procedures used for each agent.
- Discuss anthrax and smallpox, including the signs and symptoms and treatment options.
- Discuss additional agents: botulism, plague, tularemia, and the viral hemorrhagic fever viruses, including the signs and symptoms and treatment options.
- Describe prophylaxis for the diseases.