This course has been approved for 4 hours by the Commission on Case Manager Certification for 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 1/15/10 through 12/31/10, 2011, 2012, and 2013.
The goal of this course is to help nurses working with adolescents understand their normal growth and development. This course will review a developmental approach to increase resiliency and improve the health outcomes of adolescents. After studying the information presented here, you will be able to:
- Discuss the parameters of normal pubertal development in terms of sequence and tempo.
- Identify the developmental tasks of adolescents.
- Describe the effects of physical changes on psychosocial development.
- Discuss the cognitive changes that occur during adolescence.
- Describe the nutritional requirements to support adolescent growth.
- Identify the principles of resiliency in promoting healthy development.
- Describe the parameters of consent and confidentiality in adolescence.
- Identify communication techniques that are effective with adolescents.