The course will be discontinued on April 15, 2013. Please plan to complete the course before that date if you wish to earn continuing education credit.
The purpose of this course is to inform nurses about the history, epidemiology, diagnosis and treatment of emerging and re-emerging infectious diseases. After studying the information presented here, you will be able to —
- Discuss how increases in population and urbanization contribute to the emergence of new infectious diseases.
- Identify emerging diseases related to polluted water.
- Discuss reasons why the United States is vulnerable to emerging foodborne infections.
- Discuss zoonotic infections such as Hantavirus and Lyme disease, including methods for preventing them.
- Discuss reasons for the increase in antibiotic resistance.