The goal of this preventing medical errors continuing education program is to explore approaches to prevent medical errors that are both system-based and human performance-based and describe The Joint Commission National Patient Safety Goals as they pertain to medical errors in hospitals. After studying the information presented here, you will be able to —
- Examine sources and types of medical errors.
- Identify error-prone situations.
- Relate theories and strategies to reduce the occurrence of errors and improve patient outcomes.
- Define sentinel event, root cause analysis, and failure mode, effects, and criticality analysis.
- Discuss safety needs of special populations.
- Describe the impact of medical errors on healthcare providers.
- Discuss the importance of public education in reducing errors.